Friday, May 28, 2010

Browser Wars

A web browser is an execution based software application that allows the user to explore the world wide web. Within the browsers the user specifies a URI (uniform resource identifier) to access many files such as web pages, pictures, videos, and other sorts of information. Once the page is displayed within the web browser, there are usually different links, or hyperlinks that allow the user to navigate the world wide web more efficiently.

The current top four web browsers are: Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome, and then Internet Explorer 7- in that order. I mostly use Internet Explorer because I do not usually keep up with this stuff, mostly I only upgrade or get a new browser if the web sites I want to access are no longer supported by my older browser. My brothers on the otherhand, were very insistent on me downloading Firefox until Chrome came about and now they favor it. They say Google is taking over the computer world... but I just go with the flow here...

The term browser war stands for "the competitions for dominance in usage share in the web browser marketplace." (wikipedia) In other words, each software application is trying to out preform the others in terms of what it can offer the users. I am not really sure why there is an ongoing war for the usage shares of the world wide web because they are all free and do not produce an income from being a web browser. Although, once you download the web browser I noticed they try and make their search engines your homepage which in turn generates ad revenues for them if you decide to use it and the rest of their associated products. Other than that I can't seem to understand why anybody cares to outdo whats already there, but I am glad they do because it keeps pushing us further and bringing more advances in society and techonology. Or maybe less advances as a society...

Discover the Browser Wars for Yourself!
And keep up to date with Who's Who in the Browser Wars

My quote for thought:
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." ~Albert Einstein

No comments: